Tuesday 2 March 2010

Target Audience II

From these results I deduced that the best target audience would be between ages 18 - 55. I have chosen such a large age range as due to the size of the Isle of Wight; a specific age range such as 18-25 may be too small due to a possible lack of relevant and important topics. A National Newspaper would not face such a problem as insufficient information as the articles are found all over the nation and would not be limited by local events or news. By choosing a target age range similar to one of a National Newspaper, it allows me to have no limit on the amount of information to publish, and therefore allowing a larger target audience - in turn creating a greater number of readers and larger profit.

After discussing reasons with the participants that said they do not read their local newspaper, it became apparent that the most common reason was that there was no information that was relevant to them. I investigated further and after scanning through a few issues of my local newspaper, The Isle of Wight County Press, I determined that there was not an absence of articles concerning one topic due to more popular articles taking their place, however a lack of the actual events and information to publish.

Therefore, my newspaper will cover all topics such as sport, politics, general news, music, fashion, etc. Having a large target audience will allow my newspaper to entertain and provide for more readers.