Wednesday 3 February 2010

Chosen Type and Structure

For the newspaper I am creating I have chosen to produce a Weekly Newspaper. I feel this is the best choice for the project in-hand as the information displayed will be locally-based as opposed to a National newspaper, where the information would be required to be relevant to, for example, the whole of England.

The type of newspaper I have chosen is a local newspaper. However, as many online news sites such as BBC, Sky News, and CBS have pages concerning local, national and world news, I will try and vary my newspaper from other local newspapers by including some articles concerning national and world news. I will choose my headlines and front-page articles depending on the biggest story at that point in time, and also if it is relevant to local citizens.

For the structure of my newspaper I will most likely use a Tabloid format, as there would not be enough local information to fill a Broadsheet format newspaper. This said, due to having local, national and world news, I may choose a European format, for example, a Berliner format - slightly taller and marginally wider than the tabloid/compact format; and is both narrower and shorter than the broadsheet format. An example of this format is the newspaper Le Monde (left).