Friday 7 May 2010

Evaluation: Using Conventions From Real Media Texts

-In what ways have your productions used or developed conventions adopted from real media products?

My newspaper has been developed with some standard codes and conventions as well as me adapting some. For example, I have kept conventions with the design of the newspaper -

Header/Masthead - ‘Isle of Wight Observer’ positioned along the top like most newspapers
Date/price/website/ - normal conventions that need to be on a newspaper
Articles with supporting images - Most local papers use images to enhance the stories etc.
Paragraphing - I used the usual column format, as well as used a drop capital at the start of articles, and capital first words.

I adapted some codes and conventions such as the title of the newspaper, I kept the design similar in a serif font, however I edited the design in Adobe Illustrator and create a monocle-styled letter ‘O’ for Observer.